The best time of the year is almost upon us. That’s right, Christmas is just a mere six weeks away! But panic not, we’ve created a handy guide that will help you find the perfect gifts for even the fussiest of giftees. Whether you’re buying a gift for that special someone in your life, a friend, a child or a colleague – we’ve rounded up the best gifts and events that will help you celebrate Christmas the right way.
One of the biggest challenges you might face when doing your Christmas shopping is trying to guess what you think the person you’re shopping for will like. This can be difficult if the person is hard to read, hard to please or worse – both! In most cases, you won’t know where to start, this is where we come in. We’ve created this guide to help you decide.
Gifts for her
What better way to enjoy the cold and wintry festive season than by trying something new?
1. The Japan Centre tea subscription service allows your giftee to receive their choice of selected teas every 2, 4 or 6 weeks. They can choose from glorious senchas to mellow matchas. This is one gift that fits in perfectly with any adventurous person’s lifestyle.
2. Our ceramic bowl and mug set for two are perfect even for a ‘hard to please’ giftee. It is unique and easy on the eyes. The black finishing and the handpainted cherry blossoms give it a nice Japanese touch.
3. Our patterned make-up bag with a hand mirror is a gift that’ll be used time and time again. For someone close to your heart, you want something that will make them think of you every time they use it. So why not a bag for some of their most treasured items?
4. A patterned tea cannister covered in washi Japanese paper is a unique gift used for storing tea. It has an airtight inner lid that will ensure that the tea inside remains as fresh as the day it was first opened.
5. Our large black kokeshi bento box that has three tiers and a kawaii decoration of a cat wearing a golden bell is a beautiful gift. It’s practical, multifunctional and unique. It is also microwave and dishwasher safe.
Gifts for him
Everybody loves to get presents for Christmas, and we at Japan Centre have everything you need to add a sprinkle of Japanese magic for that extra-special feel.
1. Our sake subscription service is perfect for adventurous spirits who like to be surprised. The classic set will always offer the chance to try something you’ve never tried before. Each month, you’ll receive a different sake and a small selection of complimentary snacks. You’ll get to sample different sake varieties and brands. The classic set also brings with it a range of exclusive rewards like extra loyalty points and a masu cup. The rewards will only keep getting better and better.
2. Authenticity is the best way to please any picky giftee. There’s no better way to add a touch of Japanese authenticity in one’s home than with a maekake apron. They are worn around the waist and are available in a stunning range of colours. They are durable, perfect for budding chefs and are available in long and short lengths.
3. Our Hinoki wooden cedar set is the best way to enjoy your sake with wooden undertones. This gift is extra special as it is made from 100-year-old Hinoki cedar wood. Cedar is regarded as one of the most precious types of wood in Japan as it enhances the flavour of the sake and has thermal insulation properties.
4. Japanese whisky has been celebrated for its unique taste, this makes it a great Christmas gift. There’s no better way to experience this than with Tory’s classic whisky. A memorable blend of malt and grain with a smooth and well-rounded taste.
5. Our friend Chef Tim Anderson’s book Nanban (meaning barbarian in Japanese) is full of unexpected treats and contains Japanese soul food recipes. It also includes chapters on sauces, small and large dishes, grilled food and ramen. Perfect for that experimental chef in your life.
Looking to experience something new and exciting this festive season? Join us in-store at our Panton Street flagship store on Tuesday 5 December between 4-6pm for a special miso sampling with Hikari miso. Delve into the interesting and mysterious world of Japanese miso with one of Japan’s oldest miso companies.
For that final Japanese touch, you can send your season’s greetings with a little flair thanks to our effortlessly elegant range of Japanese Christmas cards. If you’re still unsure as to what you want to get for Christmas, you can opt for a Japan Centre gift voucher. We have loyalty points, store, online and Shoryu gift vouchers so you’re spoilt for choice. Add the final touch to any of the gifts in our guide by having them wrapped in an authentic furoshiki cloth. Furoshiki is available for only £4.99 per gift. Let us know how you’ll be spending Christmas in the comments below.