KYOTO STYLE TEMARI SUSHI
Sushi may be thought of as hard to make at home, but this temari sushi recipe will amaze you with its simplicity. Temari sushi is ball-shaped sushi named after the traditional thread ball toy that it gets its namesake from. Make delicious and simple temari sushi right at home that is sure to be a crowd pleaser.
5 slices Sashimi Grade Fish or your choice of topping
HOW TO PREPARE
- Once the rice is cooked moisten the inside of a hangiri sushi barrel or a large bowl to prevent the rice from sticking. The rice needs to be freshly cooked and hot when preparing sushi rice.
- Place cooked rice in a hangiri sushi barrel or a large bowl and add the sushi seasoned vinegar. Gently mix the vinegar into the rice using a rice paddle until the vinegar is well incorporated. Let the sushi rice cool down to room temperature. Cover the sushi rice with a moisten tea towel to prevent the rice from drying.
- Place a sheet of cling film flat on the hand and lay a piece of sliced topping of your choice on top. Add a small portion of wasabi onto the topping then place 30g of sushi rice over it.
- Gather the cling film together, twist and close the film tightly to form an evenly shaped ball.
- Take the temari sushi out of the cling film and serve with soy sauce. You can also garnish the temari sushi if preferred.
*topping suggestion: sashimi grade fish, boiled prawns, smoked salmon, roast chicken, roast beef, ham, salami, vegetables, cheese, etc
*garnish suggestion: dill, shiso, basil, chives, lemon, cress, grated ginger, radish, cucumber, avocado carrot, okra, salad leaves, etc
Watch our easy to follow video for clear instructions.