Enjoy one of the easiest and most delicious delicacies in Japanese cuisine with this okonomiyaki savoury pancake recipe. Okonomiyaki literally means ‘grilled as you like it’, and is made from seasoned flour, cabbage, and various fresh meats and vegetables mixed together and cooked in a frying pan just like a pancake. Prepare this easy recipe for lunch or dinner, and watch it become a family favourite.
*for two servings
150g Cabbage, finely chopped
2 tbsp Spring Onions, finely sliced
Prawns & Squid
Sauces and Garnish:
HOW TO PREPARE
- Place okonomiyaki flour, water, egg in a bowl and mix together. Add cabbage and mix gently folding the batter well in the mixture.
- Oil pan generously and place on medium heat. Pour the batter and spread out to 2cm thickness by using the edge of a spoon. The pan has to be hot enough to hear a little sizzle.
- Add prawns, squids and spring onions, or any other topping of your choice.
- After a few minutes, when the base of the okonomiyaki is sturdy, flip it over using a spatula. Turn heat to low and cook for five minutes.
- Flip okonomiyaki again and cook for another few minutes.
- Garnish with okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise, aonori flakes and katsuobushi flakes.
- Serve piping hot.
Watch our easy to follow video for clear instructions.