TAMAGO TOJI UDON
Create one of Japan’s favourite udon soup dishes at home with this Tamago Toji Udon recipe. This dish is easy to make and sure to be a household favourite before too long.
(for 2-3 servings)
1tsp Sea Salt
3 tbs Potato Starch, for dusting
egg drop soup (for one serving)
½ tsp Sea Salt
1 tbsp Spring Onions, finely chopped
Shichimi Chili Powder (optional)
HOW TO PREPARE
Homemade udon noodles
- Place udon flour and salt in a bowl and blend well.
- Add water in the bowl and knead until the dough is firm and smooth.
- The firmness should be similar to an earlobe.
- Transfer the dough onto a clean work surface.
- Pound the dough using a rolling pin.
- Once the dough is flat, fold dough back and pound again.
- Repeat this procedure 5 times to work the gluten.
- Cover the dough in cling film and set aside in room temperature for 2 hours.
- Remove cling film and place dough on the work surface. Sprinkle potato starch and roll dough out to 1cm thickness using a rolling pin. Fold dough to thirds and cut dough into 1cm thick strips.
- Cook udon in boiling water for 10 minutes. Drain well.
Udon noodles in egg drop soup
- Combine dashi, mirin, sea salt, soy sauce in a pot over medium heat and bring to the boil. Beat 2 eggs and add slowly into the boiling soup.
- Turn heat off immediately once the eggs float to the surface.
- Place udon in a bowl and add the egg drop soup. Garnish with spring onions and serve with shichimi chilli powder.
Watch our easy to follow video for clear instructions.