As the dietary staple of Japan, knowing how to cook Japanese rice is an important first step to becoming a Japanese cooking master. Perfectly prepared Japanese rice should be light, fluffy, and slightly sticky when cooked, and this popular Japan Centre recipe will have you making sublime rice every time.
*makes 660g cooked rice
HOW TO PREPARE
- Place rice in a bowl, add water and gently wash the rice using a swirling motion. Discard water and repeat this process several times until the water is clear.
- Soak rice in clean water for 30 minutes. Then discard water completely using a sieve.
- Place rice in a heavy-bottom lidded pot and add 360ml of water. Bring rice to the boil over medium heat. Once boiled, reduce heat to low and simmer for approximately 12 minutes. Keep the lid on until the rice is cooked.
- Turn off heat and let the cooked rice stand for 10 minutes.
- Using a wooden paddle, fluff the rice to let excess moisture to evaporate. Serve hot.
Watch our easy to follow instructional video below.