Try a deliciously sweet and chewy festival favourite with this easy three colour dango dumplings recipe. Cute and colourful, these sweet dumplings consist of sweetened rice flour and water made into a paste and moulded into bite-size balls. This traditional Japanese dessert is the perfect finishing touch to a Japanese-inspired afternoon tea.
*makes twelve sticks
6 tbsp Sugar
220 ml Water
1 tsp Beetroot Juice
12 Bamboo Skewers
HOW TO PREPARE
- Add shiratama rice flour, sugar and water in a bowl and knead well until the dough is smooth and bouncy. Divide the dough into thirds.
- Place one third in a bowl and add matcha powder. Knead well until the colour turns light green.
- Place the other one third in a bowl and add beetroot juice. Knead well until the colour turns light pink. The last third of the mixture can be left white.
- Shape 2cm diameter dango balls by rolling them between your palms, creating three different coloured dango.
- Cook the dango in boiling water for a few minutes until they float. Take out the dango and soak in cold water.
- Thread one of each colour dangos on skewers. Serve with green tea.
Watch the video below for clear step by step instruction.