SOBA NOODLE SOUP
Similar to Ramen, this dish has a fish stock based broth made with lots of different ingredients. Instead of egg noodles used in ramen, soba (buckwheat) noodles have a slightly different taste and texture and are said to be much healthier (good for the digestive system!).
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 2
• 800ml Water
• 4 tablespoons of Soy Sauce
• 2 dessert spoons of Dashi fish stock (granulated)
• 6 tablespoons of Mirin
• 200g of Dried Soba Noodles
• 1 pack of Tenkasu – Tempura Flakes
• 1 Spring Onion or Chives
• 1 Pack of Shichimi Togarashi – Japanese 7 Spice Powder (Optional)
• Optional: Smoked Mackerel or Kanikama (crab sticks)
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Add the water, soy sauce, dashi stock and mirin into a sauce pan and bring to boil to create the broth.
2. Boil the soba noodles in hot water for approximately 5 minutes or according to the manufacturers instructions.
3. Once the noodles have cooked, drain well and add to a bowl.
4. You can now add the hot soup to your soba noodles as well as the and other ingredients such as smoked mackerel or kanikama (crab meat) on the top.
5. Finally, garnish the dish with shredded spring onion or chives and add some Shichimi Togarashi to taste if you like it spicy!