GREEN TEA ICE CREAM
Although ice cream is not normally associated with Japanese cuisine, green tea flavoured ice cream is a great dessert with a traditional Japanese twist. It is widely available in Japan and East Asia and is becoming more and more popular in the West too. A great colourful dessert to impress at any dinner party!
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 2-4
• 2 Tablespoons of Matcha Green Tea Powder
• 2/3 of a Cup of Granulated Sugar
• 3 Egg Yolks
• 3/4 of a Cup of Milk
• 3/4 of a Cup of Double Cream
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Begin by mixing two tablespoons of granulated sugar with the matcha green tea powder in a bowl.
2. In a separate bowl, mix the remainder of the granulated sugar with the egg yolks.
3. Gently heat the milk on a pan without letting it boil. Remove from the heat and mix a small amount of the warm milk with the matcha green tea and sugar and egg mix until it becomes a smooth paste.
4. Gradually add the milk to the rest of the matcha green tea paste while keeping the mixture smooth and then return to the heat.
5. Before the mixture boils, remove again from the heat and then strain the whole mix through a fine sieve to remove any impurities. Leave the mixture to cool before the next step.
6. Whip the cream lightly and then fold into the matcha green tea mixture.
7. Once the mixing is complete, set in a large container and put in the fridge to cool down for a few hours.
8. Finally, you can put the container in the freezer. To stop ice crystals forming in the ice cream, be sure to remove every few hours and mix the ice cream vigourously. Repeat this a few times as it freezes to guarantee a delicious, perfectly smooth ice cream!