This is the first in our new series of Japanese food recipes. Over the next few months, we’ll be showing you how to make the tastiest and most popular dishes out there.
Feel free to leave comments at the bottom with any useful suggestions or tips.
Okonomiyaki literally means “Grilled as you like it”. It is a delicious savoury dish that is simple and quick to make. Very versatile, it can be made with many different ingredients to suit your own tastes.
You can buy many of the ingredients at Japan Centre, just click on the link to add it to your basket.
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 2
• Okonomiyaki Flour*
• Okonomiyaki Sauce
• Dried Bonito Flakes
• 2 Eggs
• 1/2 Cabbage
• 1 Spring Onion
• Any Meat, Seafood or Other Vegetables such as Sliced Pork, Bacon, Squid or Prawn etc.
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Mix 100g of Okonomiyaki flour with 100ml of water with a spoon and set aside.*
2. Chop the cabbage and spring onion finely and add to the batter mix.
3. Add the egg and mix the ingredients together. [TIP: Do not mix too much or pancake will become hard]
4. Start heating a pan and pour the mixture into a round pancake.
5. If using meat or seafood, start cooking these separate to the pancake.
6. After 5-7 minutes of cooking, add the meat ingredients to the top of the pancake and flip over to finish cooking.
7. Serve after smothering with Okonomiyaki sauce, mayonnaise and sprinkle with bonito flakes.
You can print this recipe and even bring it to the foodshop to find the ingredients.