COMPETITION: Hokusai Exposed Tickets Up For Grabs!

Hokusai Exposed: Win Tickets!

Experience the works of Japanese master artist Katsushika Hokusai as you’ve never seen them before! “Re-created” using state-of the-art digital technology by award-winning scientist and author Dr. Shinichi Fukuoka in the new Hokusai Exposed exhibition at the The Old Truman Brewery, London, you can see Hokusai’s famous Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji as they may have looked when they were first printed. What’s more Japan Centre are giving you the chance to win one of 3 pairs of tickets to this ace exhibition!

Over-18s can also descend into a basement, specially decked out to evoke the atmosphere of an old Edo (a.k.a. Tokyo) street walk! Explore the racier side of Hokusai’s work with re-creations of erotic shunga prints in the shunga room, be terrified and entertained in the manga and ghostly kaidan folktale room and breathe in the sights of Yoshiwara Yukaku, Edo’s government licensed entertainment district. Not to mention a special projection mapping digital installation created specially for the Hokusai Exposed exhibition and a Hokusai inspired sake bar!

Who is Hokusai?

The Great Wave off KanagawaHokusai is one of Japan’s most famous artists. Best known for his wood block prints of the floating world, representations of urban Japan in the 1600-1800s, called ukiyo-e. His works span from famous actors of the day, drawing guides and folk tales, to amazing landscapes and scenes of everyday Japanese life. His best known work are the Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji, the most iconic of which is probably the Great Wave off Kanagawa. Cowabunga!

If all this has whetted your appetite for some great art, you’ll be glad to know that tickets are available online (http://ow.ly/qoOo8) or at the door on the day (cash only). If you fancy chancing your luck, however, read on!

How to Enter

To be in with a chance of winning one of 3 pairs of tickets, simply leave a comment on this blog post or our Facebook post telling us what’s your favourite work of artYou can also tweet us @JapanCentre not forgetting the hashtag #hokusaiexposed. We will choose a winner at random on Wednesday 6th November. Good luck!

Categories: Competition

Stay in touch!

Subscribe to our RSS feed and social profiles to receive updates.

22 Comments on “COMPETITION: Hokusai Exposed Tickets Up For Grabs!”

1. georgie p
    November 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm #

Great Wave off Kanagawa is the only one i know which is why i’d like to see the exhibition!

2. Mary
    November 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm #

‘Fuji Koshi Ryū-zu’ by Katsushika Hokusai.
    Good luck, everyone!

3. Silvia Lazzari
    November 7, 2013 at 4:01 am #

My favorite is “Kanagawa-Oki Nami-Ura”

4. josh cohen
    November 7, 2013 at 4:43 am #

My favourite Hokusai is, without question, the Phoenix, as it captures so much colour and depth within its form. it is such a unique work that has to be studied to be understood what you are seeing, and can display different nuances at a new glance – i love that !

5. Marc
    November 7, 2013 at 6:47 am #

Great Wave

6. Ri
    November 7, 2013 at 7:22 am #

I brought back a mag of Hokusai’s famous picture on it a couple weeks ago from Japan and it happened to be the top of Hokusai Exb’s leaflet! I thought it was a fate.

7. Emma
    November 7, 2013 at 7:46 am #

Great Wave off Kanagawa is amazing I’d love to see the other pictures in the exhibition

8. roland clark
    November 7, 2013 at 8:09 am #

The Great Wave off Kanagawa!

9. Rich
    November 7, 2013 at 8:52 am #

Noboto Bay (Noboto no ura), from the series Thirty-six Views of Mount Fuji

10. sally_rushbrook@hotmail.co.uk
    November 7, 2013 at 10:26 am #

My favourite Hokusai is The Waterfall. Favourite work of art is A Little Night Music by Dorothea Tanning.

11. arantxa sardina
    November 7, 2013 at 11:00 am #

Love the dragon, vibrant reds

12. selenestudies
    November 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm #

I’ve always loved Japanese art! My favourite is Octopus Games by Utagawa Kuniyoshi just because it makes me giggle! But the Great Wave has always given me a sense of calm when I look at it. Would be amazing to see it at an exhibition, and in fully “remastered” glory!!!

13. selenestudies
    November 7, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

I’ve always loved Japanese art! My favourite is Octopus Games by Utagawa Kuniyoshi just because it makes me giggle ^_^ But the Great Wave has always given me a sense of calm when I look at it. Would be amazing to see it at an exhibition, and in full remastered glory!!!

14. November 7, 2013 at 12:37 pm #

Wish you’d asked top 5. However maybe today Plum Blossom & Moon achingly beautiful

15. Lucia De Lucchia
    November 7, 2013 at 1:20 pm #

I would love to see it as I only know about the great wave so it would be so interesting to see what else he did.

• Cristina
      November 7, 2013 at 1:50 pm #

Great wave

16. James Doyle
    November 7, 2013 at 10:26 pm #

My dragon art painting created personally in Nikko by Kousyuuya during my last visit to Japan. Absolutely love it.

17. November 7, 2013 at 10:31 pm #

My dragon art painting created personally in Nikko by Kousyuuya during my last visit to Japan. Absolutely love it and can’t wait for my next trip so I can get another.

18. Leonor Nunes
    November 8, 2013 at 12:41 pm #

another great exhibition about Japanese art

Best Hokusai’s work? It’s definitely impossible to choose since he was so many awesome works

19. Japan Centre | Chloe
    November 8, 2013 at 5:10 pm #

Thank you everyone for so many fantastic entries! The competition is now closed. We’ll be contacting winners shortly. Everyone else please do go along, the exhibition is fantastic, and keep your eyes peeled for a new comp soon!

20. Ann wolland
    November 9, 2013 at 7:44 pm #

My favourite art work among art work
    Is possibly the ‘time’ wall by Andy goldsworthy – I also love my youngest sons prolific drawings at 3 years old – endless stories of eternal battles – I have to say he still continues at 25 – endless battles of eternal stories … In terms of Hokusai I love the one of the wave that took the mongol invaders back to sea – saving japan but allowing the shogun to escape unquestioned in his condemnation of a certain Buddhist priest …

21. Ira Heinze
    November 13, 2013 at 4:48 pm #

I love the Great Wave, once I painted a replica at school for my art class and everybody loved it.