It may seem simple to many, but it is a fact that many Western people are unsure about how to make tea using loose Green tea. Green tea has been proven to reduce the risk of health problems such as stroke, heart failure, cancer and diabetes.-
INGREDIENTS – SERVES 2
• Japanese green tea such as Gyokuro, Sencha or Genmaicha – loose leaf variety
• One large tea pot
• Two small tea cups
• Water filter – in hard water areas
HOW TO PREPARE
1. Put approximately 1.5 tablespoons of tea leaves in your tea pot, or in the filter cup if available.
2. Pour hot water into the tea cups to warm them.
3. Pour the same water back into the large tea pot to start brewing your tea. This water should not be boiling, but at approximately 80˚C.
4. Brew the tea for approximately 1 minute depending on tea type and taste.
5. Using the teapot, pour the brewed tea into the cups little by little to give an even flavour to both.
6. The same tea leaves can be used up to three times.
FOR MATCHA GREEN TEA
To make tea using Matcha green tea powder rather than leaves. Add a small teaspoon of the powder to a small cup, fill cup 3/4 with hot water (not boiling as above). Then whisk with special Matcha whisk until a light foam appears on the surface.